Note from the Maker
I have been painting with watercolours for 23 years and I have been making watercolour paints for the last four years. Every batch of paint is hand-mixed on the glass slab for no less than one hour non-stop. These handmade watercolour paints feel very smooth on the brush and on the paper. All paints are very lightfast.
A talented professional artist himself, Matteo makes these paints for his own use and eventually decided to share them with others.
In a sense they are very simple. Only 10 colors. Single pigment. Nothing fancy.
But there is something to be said for a line that simply focuses on quality and utility. You can see in the way these paints shine in his own paintings come out where his focus is. The end result. Beautiful paintings.
You can see how careful he is in the creation of his watercolors in videos he has produced and blog posts explaining the topic.
- Extremely well made paints
- Color payoff is great even from dot cards
- Includes all colors necessary for nearly all paintings in the range
- Perfect for the painter who simply wants their paints to do their job well
- Packaging is not fancy or cute
- Line does not include a very wide range, and is very orthodox
Who is it for?
These pains are best suited to the painter who simply wants to get their job done with very high-quality paint. There are no glitter paints. There are no multi pigment colors. Just a few single pigment colors.
Mateo is an artist himself, and you can see that in the colors that he has made here. These are colors for a working artist. You didn’t have to worry about the pigments that he has chosen fading on you or ever worry about low pigment load. They are reliable and dependable. And of course, beautiful!
- Matteo Grilli: Capturing Wildlife’s Fleeting Wonders in Watercolor
- Matteo’s Handmade Watercolours – YouTube
- Wanderings in the Australian Bush with Wildlife Artist Matteo Grilli – Lori McNee Art & Fine Art Tips
- WATERCOLOUR EXPLORATIONS ON AUSTRALIAN WILDLIFE Vol. 1 by MATTEO GRILLI | Blurb Books
- Ganesha and Matteo Grilli’s Paints | D.Katie Powell Art
- Jane Blundell Artist: Handmade watercolours using Schmincke pigments
written by: Sade’s Blog